The prostate is a walnut-sized gland located between the bladder and the penis, just in front of the rectum. The urethra runs through the center allowing urine flow out of the body.
The prostate secretes fluid that nourishes and protects sperm.
Prostate conditions –
– Prostatitis – inflammation of the prostate sometimes caused by an infection.
– Enlarged prostate – aka Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy or BPH. Prostate growth affects virtually all men over 50.
– Prostate cancer – one of the most common forms of cancer in men, but only 1 in 35 die from prostate cancer.
Symptoms – may or may not be present
– Trouble urinating
– Decreased force in stream of urine
– Blood in semen
– Discomfort in the pelvic area
– Bone pain
– Erectile dysfunction
It is best to schedule an appointment with your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms.
Risk factors –
– Age – risk of prostate cancer increases with age
– Race – For reasons not yet understood, African American men carry a greater risk of prostate cancer than do men of other races and tends to be more aggressive or advanced.
– Family history – If men in your family have had prostate cancer, it will increase the risk
– Obesity – Obese men diagnosed with prostate cancer may be more likely to have advanced disease that’s more difficult to treat
Prostate tests can include a DRE (Digital rectal exam), PSA (Prostate-specific antigen), Prostate ultrasound (transrectal ultrasound) or prostate biopsy.
How we treat prostate naturally:
Prostate health is very important so as to prevent the conditions listed above, considering that many take years to develop.
As with most conditions, symptoms are simply the way the body communicates that something is off balance. Whether this relates to improper nutrition, increased stress, hormone imbalance, eating too much of the wrong foods, lack of exercise, etc. it is important to take a complete history, assess lifestyle habits that include diet, exercise sleep, detoxification of the body, medications/supplements, mental/emotional state and lab work to determine all factors that may be involved in the manifestation of symptoms.
Often we will incorporate a detox program that will enhance detoxification, improving organ function as kidney filtration while at the same time deceasing inflammation and pain.
Based on the results, we will make necessary adjustments where appropriate for healing and restoration of proper body function. At times, it may be necessary to incorporate medications alongside alternative treatments, based on the severity.
Options that may be utilized to help treat the underlying causes may include herbs, dietary changes, supplements, acupuncture and/or other methods for optimal function.
Each treatment plan will be tailored to the individual. Our goal is to improve your overall quality of life, not simply treat the symptoms.