A condition characterized by an abnormally low level of blood sugar (glucose), your body’s main energy source.
Hypoglycemia is commonly associated with the treatment of diabetes, however, there are other conditions that can lead to hypoglycemia. Hypoglycemia is a symptom, not a disease.
Symptoms include –
– Heart palpitations
– Pale skin
– Tingling sensation around the mouth
– Crying out during sleep
– Visual disturbances
– Loss of consciousness
Individuals with hypoglycemia may appear as if intoxicated, slurring words or move clumsily.
Consuming glucose may resolve many of the symptoms.
Possible causes without diabetes –
– Medications – An example being medications that are used to treat malaria
– Excessive alcohol consumption – which blocks your liver from releasing stored glucose into your bloodstream leading to hypoglycemia
– Severe illnesses – For example, hepatitis, kidney disorders, long-term starvation as with anorexia nervosa and others.
– Overproduction of Insulin – Whether through a tumor or diet
– Hormone deficiencies – Adrenal and pituitary gland dysfunction may result in a deficiency of key hormones that regulate glucose production.
How we treat hypoglycemia naturally:
We will begin by taking a thorough history, assess lifestyle habits that include diet, exercise sleep, detoxification of the body, medications/supplements, mental/emotional state and lab work to determine what may be contributing to the development of hypoglycemia.
Based on the results, we will make necessary adjustments where appropriate for healing and restoration of proper function. Simply providing glucose when experiencing hypoglycemia will not resolve the future manifestations of the symptom. For this reason, we will also address the function of other glands and holistically balance all, utilizing herbs, dietary changes, supplements or other methods for optimal function.
Each treatment plan will be tailored to the individual. Our goal is to improve your overall quality of life, not simply treat the symptoms.